So I've tried several times to download the video of my public speaking assignment. However, it just won't download, so y'all will have to do with the written version instead.
Our class was assigned to write a speech about a pivotal moment in our life. I decided to write about my suspension from BYU Idaho. As I got halfway through writing it, it seemed as if I didn't know how to write. I could think but nothing would travel to the keys. I gave up for that night and went to bed. (This was Saturday night, my speech was due Monday.) I went to church the following day, during Sunday School it just hit me. I pulled out a piece of paper and before I knew it my entire speech outline was written down. Later that night I wrote up my speech.
I was really surprised about how well it went. One of my "characters" of my speech decided to sit not far from my classroom this afternoon. So my classmates got a look at this "character"; now they have a face to go with a story.
I even dropped off a dvd copy of my speech to a friend of mine. I figured she would love to see/hear my speech, considering she knows my "character".
------
I've spent most of my life being the shy one, the keep-your-mouth-shut one. I was always too timid to make my own decisions. I felt I didn't know what was truly best for me and past experience only seemed to support the idea. As I got older, I began to learn. Life's about having the confidence to make your own decisions and not base them on anyone else, but yourself. I thought to myself, I should have the confidence to know what's best for me, and not care what other people think of my decisions. My life is about me!
It was my birthday, and at the time I was dating my friend, Matt. My dad struck up a conversation with him asking him about school, life, whatever came to mind. Matt told him, he was thinking of going elsewhere for school in the fall. He was no longer going to live at home. I don't know what look I gave, but Matt definitely saw it. I still very vividly remember him looking at me saying, "Don't change your plans because of me." At the time, I didn't know how much of an impact his one small, honest-feeling statement would have on the rest of my life.
The next night, we broke up. We still try to be friends since then. And I saw him working on making his life better for himself and decided. He's using this time to take care of himself; I should do the same.
He had talked about possibly going to UNC, a school his mother suggested for him. He was really excited about it and began making plans with friends. My cousin, Becky, had been trying to convince me to just at least visit her in Greeley since I was 18-years-old. After three years, I gave in and I went to Greeley. How was I supposed to know that Greeley and UNC was the same thing? I am not from Colorado. Before leaving I had prayed that I would know whether or not I should go to this school. I went and toured the school, met several people, and gained a very good idea of the school. But I had not gained an answer to my much needed prayer.
As I drove home, I thought over everything. Over school, my relationship with Matt; life in general and a thought came to my mind. "Don't change your plans because of me." It just hit me. I finally understood. I decided then and there, I was going to go to UNC whether or not Matt was there. Tears flowed down my face and joy filled my heart as I finally knew what I was to do with my life.
Without these events, I truly wouldn't be me. I began looking at life differently after that. I became more independent in my choices, and more responsible for myself. I've become more confident in my decisions as a young adult. I postponed my move to Greeley for the logical circumstance to pay for school by myself. I refuse to have Mommy and Daddy do it for me. I've even made the goal to not go into debt for school. We'll just have to wait and see what happens with that, but I'm excited for what every next turn will bring. I'm not so scared anymore, but ecstatic for future events.
It was a small, honest-feeling statement from a close friend. It was an unexpected lesson. It was a decision I made on my own with the unknowing nudge from a good friend. I am confident in myself! I know I can do anything I set my mind to! I know I'm still learning, and still growing, but that's part of life. And it's my life!
Our class was assigned to write a speech about a pivotal moment in our life. I decided to write about my suspension from BYU Idaho. As I got halfway through writing it, it seemed as if I didn't know how to write. I could think but nothing would travel to the keys. I gave up for that night and went to bed. (This was Saturday night, my speech was due Monday.) I went to church the following day, during Sunday School it just hit me. I pulled out a piece of paper and before I knew it my entire speech outline was written down. Later that night I wrote up my speech.
I was really surprised about how well it went. One of my "characters" of my speech decided to sit not far from my classroom this afternoon. So my classmates got a look at this "character"; now they have a face to go with a story.
I even dropped off a dvd copy of my speech to a friend of mine. I figured she would love to see/hear my speech, considering she knows my "character".
------
I've spent most of my life being the shy one, the keep-your-mouth-shut one. I was always too timid to make my own decisions. I felt I didn't know what was truly best for me and past experience only seemed to support the idea. As I got older, I began to learn. Life's about having the confidence to make your own decisions and not base them on anyone else, but yourself. I thought to myself, I should have the confidence to know what's best for me, and not care what other people think of my decisions. My life is about me!
It was my birthday, and at the time I was dating my friend, Matt. My dad struck up a conversation with him asking him about school, life, whatever came to mind. Matt told him, he was thinking of going elsewhere for school in the fall. He was no longer going to live at home. I don't know what look I gave, but Matt definitely saw it. I still very vividly remember him looking at me saying, "Don't change your plans because of me." At the time, I didn't know how much of an impact his one small, honest-feeling statement would have on the rest of my life.
The next night, we broke up. We still try to be friends since then. And I saw him working on making his life better for himself and decided. He's using this time to take care of himself; I should do the same.
He had talked about possibly going to UNC, a school his mother suggested for him. He was really excited about it and began making plans with friends. My cousin, Becky, had been trying to convince me to just at least visit her in Greeley since I was 18-years-old. After three years, I gave in and I went to Greeley. How was I supposed to know that Greeley and UNC was the same thing? I am not from Colorado. Before leaving I had prayed that I would know whether or not I should go to this school. I went and toured the school, met several people, and gained a very good idea of the school. But I had not gained an answer to my much needed prayer.
As I drove home, I thought over everything. Over school, my relationship with Matt; life in general and a thought came to my mind. "Don't change your plans because of me." It just hit me. I finally understood. I decided then and there, I was going to go to UNC whether or not Matt was there. Tears flowed down my face and joy filled my heart as I finally knew what I was to do with my life.
Without these events, I truly wouldn't be me. I began looking at life differently after that. I became more independent in my choices, and more responsible for myself. I've become more confident in my decisions as a young adult. I postponed my move to Greeley for the logical circumstance to pay for school by myself. I refuse to have Mommy and Daddy do it for me. I've even made the goal to not go into debt for school. We'll just have to wait and see what happens with that, but I'm excited for what every next turn will bring. I'm not so scared anymore, but ecstatic for future events.
It was a small, honest-feeling statement from a close friend. It was an unexpected lesson. It was a decision I made on my own with the unknowing nudge from a good friend. I am confident in myself! I know I can do anything I set my mind to! I know I'm still learning, and still growing, but that's part of life. And it's my life!
No comments:
Post a Comment