Good news tonight. Once they were able to drain the fluid from around Linda's right lung, she was able to be weaned off of the respirator this afternoon. Linda was off sedation at the time, and her reaction to having the breathing tube and feeding tube pulled out of her was a big smile. Of course, she's not been able to speak for 7 days, but can do so now in a low raspy voice. Her first requests were, "Can I go home?", and "Can I take a shower?". She was also able to eat some cherry jello this evening. The doctor tells me that she will be in the ICU for at least another 2 days. They want to make sure she is okay without the breathing tube, that she regains some more strength, and that her "insult" from surgery is healing properly and not infected.
Here in Aurora it has been a long week - even the weather has been cold, dark and dreary. Today it was sunny and 77 degrees - as if the weather agreed with Linda's improvement.
I spoke with Austin's mission president in Columbus, OH. Elder Montgomery is pushing forward in spite of the news of his mother's health. We pray for his success continually.
As I said last night, I feel so dependent on the Lord's care of Linda right now. I am thankful that He is hearing our prayers and providing Linda the strength to improve and heal.
Linda looked good today, but repeated over and over again, "I am tired". She was able to visit with Addi and Devin this evening. Caden took advantage of an offer from the Lomax's to travel to Prove where he watched BYU beat UCLA 59-0. Oh, and Linda insisted that we record the game (which we had a friend do). She really enjoyed, along with her doctors and nurses, the "Super Linda" red cape and a poster-size picture of her kids (including the 2 Mero girls) that her friend Sarah Mero made for her.
There have been so many wonderful blessings that we have received from you our friends and family. Thank you. I can't think of anything that we need now. Thanks to those who have provided cards, food and mostly prayers.
So they've taken out about over 2 liters of fluid from the right lung and about a quart from the left lung. She's doing so much better and we hope to have her home soon. She'll then be in bed rest for about 6-10 weeks and then she still can't drive for a few months. We first figured that it would end up being that she can start driving around the time I leave for school.
As for my schooling is going, I'm starting up the whole application process again (Part 1-3 & Petition). I'm only worried about my bishop/stake member part as it needs to be on file by Oct. 1st. But I'm just kinda figuring that if I'm supposed to be there, there's not a whole lot to worry about. I was going to have this all done already, but Mom got sick and I pretty much forgot about it until it crossed my mind that it's about time to go back. So I'm not all that worried about not getting back in. I think I can handle going back to school as my last semester here in Colorado I was a full time student and working about 30-40 hours a week. This semester I'm a full time student, working part time, and running around a lot with everything that's going on with mom. So I've never really had any down time since I picked up school again. Oh well. Things in life may get tough, but either you travel with it or get left behind. That's just the way that it goes.
-Addison
I almost forgot. Joe Mero wrote a poem while hanging out at the hospital one day. Here it is:
Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
And I can honestly say that I hate the ICU!
No comments:
Post a Comment